I am male aged 49, married (my wife is 48) with four teenage children (two girls and two boys). We live in east Dorset near the coast.
The weekend was not much different to any other. I was keener than the rest of the family in the events taking place. Not sure why that is, my wife was born Irish but has lived in England for most of her life. I guess it is just that the Royal family is not important in our lives.I said that this is likely to be a once in a lifetime event, but it still did not make any impression. I did but a large Union Jack flag and put it up in the front window of the house. I was disappointed that very few neighbours put any flags out. You would not be surprised that no street party had been organised and there seemed to be little in the way of events happening in the immediate area.The events of the weekend were probably fairly typical of a weekend in our household. The biggest difference was my youngest son was at a Scout camp from Friday evening until Monday afternoon. Incidentally, there was not much happening at camp with respect to the Jubilee. Saturday morning my wife and I did our normal weekly shop, nothing special bought. A trip to the library to take some books back and took out some books about where we are going on our summer holiday. The other three children are in the middle of exams (GCSEs, first and second years of “A” Levels) so they were busy revising. There is nothing else to note about the rest of the day.Sunday morning I was up early with my eldest daughter as she worked from 6am until midday. I had to take her to work. When I got back, I woke everyone else as they have Sunday morning paper rounds. I took an interest in the coverage of the Jubilee and was interested to hear about the river pageant. There was little response from my family. I went out for a cycle ride to keep fit. When I got back I looked at the preparations for the pageant, but we were going out to see my father-in-law. He lives over the other side of Dorset, in fact, I think he actually lives in Somerset; it is nearly 2 hours away. When we got there, he was watching the pageant. I watched a little bit, but then the conversation changed and the TV went off. We stayed there for dinner and got home about 8.30pm. I had a quick look on the Internet at the day’s events but that was about it.Monday morning was the start of a lazy day; it was the first time since Christmas that I had a chance to have any sort of lie in. I got up at 8.30am and made tea and we had tea in bed before some breakfast. The weather was not great so we stayed in until it was time to collect my son from his scout camp. We had our traditional Sunday roast on Monday evening (still keep some traditions – Roast Beef and Yorkshire puddings). We watched a little bit of the concert but again a lack of interest. The acts on at the time did not inspire us.Tuesday I went with my children to the cinema to watch “Men in black 3”, my wife did not come and then was really grumpy when we got back as she had done loads of chores whilst we were being lazy good for nothings!Back to work Wednesday, feeling a little refreshed as I had ignored work for the weekend (apart from checking my email a few times). A short week as well, so it will soon be the weekend again.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.