Monday, 18 June 2012

C4958

Female - 23yrs old – Single – Plymouth – Medical Student


2nd June
Today started really badly. I went to bed yesterday with a headache and sadly I woke up with it still today. It is the worst headache I have ever had. It was a pulsing headache that got worse when I bent down or moved. I had wanted to get up really early in order to do work for my final exams later this month. However I ended up going back to bed after my shower because of this headache. I ended up getting up around 12. I spent an hour or two cleaning as I had planned and then went shopping with my housemate Mike in order to get food for the last 3 weeks of term but also to get food for the study we are doing on the 4th June. Once the shopping was all put away I sorted out my laundry, avoided revision by surfing the internet and wasting time on Twitter and then made Dinner in time for the final of The Voice which I watched with Mike. We were really surprised with who won. We were both expecting Vince to be the winner but Leanne deserved it as well, she’s got an incredible voice. I then had to pick up some fellow medical students from the train station. They are friends with my other housemate Ellie, through her boyfriend Luke whose brother Dom is dating one of them. They are running the Plymouth Half Marathon tomorrow and so are staying at our house for the night. We spent the rest of the night just chatting and watching TV. A pretty boring day really and definitely a bit of a waste. My finals are in just over 2 weeks I should be revising! But hopefully tomorrow will be more productive. Hoping to get up relatively early. Have been invited to a BBQ at a fellow students house. Nothing really Jubilee related. I did watch 2 TV shows focused on the Queen yesterday. One, on BBC1, showed Prince Charles reminiscing on his mother through personal photos and videos. It was really cute actually and it felt like a real privilege to see such a private side of their life. The second show was hosted by Alan Titchmarsh and included interviews with various members of the royal family. Again it was a really nice insight into the Royal Family and their life. I wouldn’t describe myself as a Royalist but I think it’s a brilliant institution to have in our country and is fascinating to learn about. The royal family is definitely something to be proud of especially due to their work with charities. They may not be responsible directly for raising a lot of money but they do help publicise them. I suppose in some ways the Royal Family set a good example and positively contributes to our identity as a country.
3rd June
Well I definitely didn’t get up early. Oh well. Today was a bit of a disaster really. I was meant to go to a BBQ at one of my friends house just outside Plymouth. I really wasn’t keen on going. I guess I have become rather antisocial recently. I am so fed up of meeting up with people and then spending all of our time together discussing other people and judging them. I am not interested in it and think it’s rather horrible. Luckily my uncle, who also lives in Plymouth, saved me and invited me to Lunch at 4pm meaning I would miss the BBQ. I usually see my uncle once or twice a term for Sunday lunch. We have done this for the past 2 academic years and he always asks if I want to bring a friend but all of my friends are always busy. However today I asked Ellie my housemate as she was for once in Plymouth and had nothing on. However she opted to spend her afternoon with her boyfriend Luke. I do not begrudge her this; she’s had a rough year so it’s good to see her happy but she is always with Luke. I never see her and being the only single person in the house now, I’m really starting to feel it. I don’t think she realised how isolated and alone it made me feel when she decided not to come today. It was so embarrassing to say to my uncle that everyone was busy. However lunch with Daryl, my uncle, was lovely and it was good to have a change of scene and to spend time with someone who isn’t a medic and is also a bit more mature. After Lunch I did some work and then ironed while watching the documentary about Gary Barlow making the Jubilee song ‘Sing’. It was a really engaging and vibrant documentary and I think the song is spectacular. Again we saw a bit of the royal family in the show. It strikes me how lucky we are to have such insight into their world. There are lengthy and detailed interviews with Prince Charles which is such a privilege when you think he is heir to the throne. I can’t think of similar interviews with the Queen but it reflects the changing and progressing role the Royal Family plays. Media such as television makes them much more accessible and I think the future of the Royal Family lies in them engaging more with the media and taking a more public role as to justify their relevance in a modern world. My evening concluded with the finale of The Apprentice and a spot more work. We are having a study day tomorrow so hoping to be refreshed and energised for it. 
4th June
Today was our study day. Our medical school finals (confusing because we actually do five years but our finals are at the end of 4th) are in two weeks. A group of friend and I have had a study group going since before Xmas so yesterday, as we had the day off, we arranged a whole day for study group so we could go through the specialities that will be coming up in our ISCE’s (Integrated Structural Clinical Exam’s) and do practice histories and exams. It was a good day, starting at around 10 and finishing around 5. By the end I was definitely flagging and, although it had been beneficial I was glad of a break. The rest of the day was spent watching The Jubilee Concert. I don’t usually watch concerts but having watched the documentary about the making of the Jubilee song I was interested to see how it went. It proved to be a good way to spend the evening. All the acts were fantastic although Grace Jones and Annie Lennox were definitely a bit extroverted with their costumes. Elton John sand ‘Your Song’ which is one of my favourites. Michael, my housemate who watched it with me, was disappointed that Paul McCartney didn’t play ‘Hey Jude’. That’s pretty much it for the day. We did get some shocking news about some fellow 4th Year Medical Students down in Truro. They had been in a car crash over the weekend and have had some nasty accidents. Luckily they are alright currently. 
5th June
Had a very lazy morning. Didn’t get up till lunchtime and then headed out for coffee at Starbucks in town with Katie, a fellow 4th yr medical student. We spent first and second year together in Exeter but then went to different campuses for 3rd and 4th year. It was nice to see her and have a catch up. Come home around 5 and did some work. I’m afraid my day doesn’t get much more interesting. I ate and then did some more revision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.