Monday, 18 June 2012

P3924

Housewife, 39, Midlands.

MASS OBSERVATION  DIMOND JUBILEE   HOUSEWIFE ,39, midlands, P3924 

2nd June 2012  Woke about 8.30 this morning as I wanted to nip into Sainsburys to get a few bits, beef is half price at the moment.  Sorted out recycling things and made a new tidier system in the kitchen .  Went to Sainsburys, it was incredibly busy but I didn't notice that people were buying things which are out of the ordinary due to jubilee Chatted to a lady who had the next allotment to mine , turns out that the new self management isn't going well at all, clique is now in charge so glad I left when I did.  One he way home we noted that there a few more people who have put flags up, husband is a bit put out that lots of them appear to be upside down or back to front.  As soon as we came back into the house my son wanted to know did I have blue tac or pins as he had found a flag for his bedroom, he's 18 and has autism so I am quite pleased that he's taking any notice at all of the events.  We made union flag paper chains whilst watching the start of the Epsom Darby. I do think Prince Philip is looking particularly frail and unsteady on his feet.  Husband has put up the bunting over the front door.  What a shame the weather isn't like last weekend when we were having a heat wave . Spoke to Daughter on phone, who is out for her friends 21st Birthday, she said that the road where the pub is is closed off with a band playing for the jubilee.  Sat down this evening looking through all the official souvenirs, have looked everywhere for a nice commemorative tea caddy so bought one of those and a mint tin, only came to £19.94.   Son is now worried that London is going to flood tomorrow due to all the boats in the themes causing water displacement !    

3rd of June 2012  Woke at 8.30am , husband brought up coffee and put TV on.  Emmon Holmes didn't seem to be too enthusiastic about the river pageant, the rain is awful and this has affected the crowds I think.  Got up at 9 ish and went to the shop to buy all the papers, I collect them for all the major event for the kids.  Lots more flags up on houses now which I think is nice, although nothing has been organised for our village whereas the next village have lots and lots of things happening such as street parties and lighting of the beacon.  Our home is furnished in the 1950s style anyway, with flying ducks, 1950's bush radio and picture of the queen in the living room etc so decorating it for the jubilee is really good !. We're having our jubilee party tomorrow when I think the weather might be a bit better, which means today we can watch the pageant on the Thames.  Mother phoned, dad has ruined the lunch and she won't come up for party tomorrow unless husband curtseys to her !  The Thames pageant is wonderful and the queen stood all the way through it, we had a short power cut half way through which was a bit annoying but we always lose power when it rains hard.  Changed from BBC to sky news half way through as the BBC's coverage was quite dire.   I think one of the nicest moments was when the Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Charles and Prince Philip were bobbing up and down as if at  the proms on the boat , lovely.  Had to put fire on as it's so cold.  Watched the queens horses with son and Daughter, not sure if I liked Joss Stone's singing though.  Mum phoned to ask if we're still having power cuts as they've had quite a few on and off  all afternoon, not sure if it's too many people using the electric or the wind and rain.  Pulled table out and ironed tablecloths ready for tomorrow,    

4th June 2012  Film crew from Sky news is in the village covering a party in the village, must be a private do as there has been no posters etc advertising.  Made food for this afternoon, Nextdoor (who's not from the UK) and Mum and Dad came round, plus kids from nextdoor and her Boyfriend.  Spent a lovely afternoon  Weather picked up.   Sad news broke at 2pm that Prince Philip has gone into hospital with a bladder infection, which considering the weather and how much they both stood yesterday it's not a surprise.  Sat down to watch the concert which I think went well, the Queen was obviously very moved especially by Prince Charles speech.  Fireworks were amazing over Buckingham palace .  

5th of June 2012  BBC's coverage of the river pageant has been widely criticised , so stuck with sky news for the service at the Abbey.  Not getting dressed today, have put leg and arm resting splint back on and will have a slow day.  I thought the Queen looked rather lonely walking up the abbey steps, Kids wondered if she gets fed up with the national anthem being sung every five minutes.  Mum phoned to ask did I see princes Ann in the Abbey as she was surprised how nice she was looking as she's normally in a dowdy outfit.  So glad that Prince Andrews girls wore something appropriate this time, unlike the Royal wedding.  Amazing that the Queen went in the open carriage sat next to Camilla !  The crowds are huge!,I'm sure there are more than at the Royal wedding .  We've still got the flags and bunting up, don't think I'll take them down until tomorrow now.  Have done a bit of washing and drying, but it's so cold again today.  Now waiting for the special address at 6pm.  Well that was nice, I think the Queen has only addressed us like that twice other than at Christmas. All Husband and son could say was “is that it?”  Watching local news and a man has come on and said “I'm sixty three and I think I was three when the Queen got on the throne”.............had to have a giggle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.