Saturday, June 2nd 2012 Saturday is the day of the week that I like to attend to odd jobs. So today I took the car in for its annual service, the wife and kids to a Chinese restaurant for dim sum and collected a neighbor from the hospital to take her home after she had a blood transfusion as part of her cancer therapy. This all resulted in quite a bit of driving around Bristol and it led me to conclude that this jubilee celebration seems to be restricted to the middle - middle classes and upwards only. As outside of Clifton you would be very lucky to see a Union flag let alone any bunting (our street is covered in it). Its not just homes that seem to be undecorated but businesses too with any that are mainly being pubs who are presumably jumping on the bandwagon to drum up business. “The Times” says TESCO have sold over 1500 miles of bunting so I would love to know where that has actually gone. It has certainly has not wrapped itself around the suburbs of Bristol. I did see a republican piece of propaganda in St Weburgh’s, a very unconvincing portrait of HM Queen with the title “God help us” underneath. This week I wrote in an e mail to a friend that I was completely indifferent to the jubilee and was mainly looking forward to having a few days off work. However I read a rather interesting front page article in “The Guardian” by the left wing playwright Sir David Hare stating that HM Queen should be honored as she stands apart from the vermin that are the business-political elite that dominate her kingdom. So with the horrific thought of the reptile Tony Blair becoming president, I immediately ran off to Sainsbury’s to buy some bunting to hang from the balcony. However I doubt I would be so convinced if it were anyone else in the Royal Family who was on throne, certainly not my near contemporary Prince Edward. Its starting to rain tonight, no doubt the sniveling republicans will hope it will last until Wednesday!
Sunday, June 3rd 2012 It rained quite heavily for most of this afternoon so presumably most of the street parties that I had seen being prepared for today (again in Clifton) were cancelled. The mother-in-law was on SKYPE also saying that HM Queen’s pageant down the Thames was carried live on Malaysian TV. Never overlooking an event that she seems to have no entitlement to attend, Pippa was there too with her family and strangely enough looking more like Wallis Simpson than ever. She always makes me think that in years to come they will regret ever being connected to the Middleton family and their “business interests”.  One of the most common criticisms of the Royal Family is that they are boring and looking at who is to playing at the Jubilee concert later on, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Cliff Richard, Cheryl Cole etc I cannot help agree with them.
Tuesday, 5th June 2012 Yesterday the weather was fantastic. I headed off to the countryside and just lay flat out in the grass with my face up to the sky. On a nice summer's day you cannot beat the English countryside. In fact I think I enjoyed myself more there than I ever have in say the Bernese oberland. Some people never learn. I do not know if the Met Office can supply any supporting data but I am convinced that the last day of a bank holiday weekend always means crap weather. So what happens on the day of our street party? The worst rain of the holiday. Fortunately the powers that be who have organised it managed to put up a marquee last night. I do not want to go I will leave that to the wife and kids. There is too much happening on the financial front with the possible break up of the Euro to waste time on such events. Time will be better spent reassessing my investment portfolio so that we are in a position to simply survive as the deluge approaches ...
I am trying to do a bit of kremlinology tonight after watching who appeared with HM Queen on the Buckingham Palace balcony today. I wonder what message they are trying to put out by keeping the crapper members of the Royal Family i.e Princess Anne, Princes Andrew and Edward and their kids out of sight?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.