Monday, 18 June 2012

R 470

78 Retired LGV driver. Widower. Living in Essex.


2nd It was up a bit earlier than usual for me as the Bruce Castle Museum in north London where my brother Bill is a volunteer had a Vintage Fair to mark the Jubilee. It is about an hour's drive. There was a Punch and Judy for the kids and lots of celebratory type food. I went to see my brother "doing his bit" for the Friends of the Museum and meet and chat to people. I was pleased to see that not one Union Flag was upside down, a rare event.

Talking to people I found a lot of confusion that this was the Jubilee Year but it was only the fifty-ninth anniversary of the Coronation. I kept saying, "Do you remember?" only to be told "I wasn't even born, nor was my Mum and Dad". Later in the day I actually heard a radio presenter say it was the sixtieth anniversary of the Coronation.

It was very surprising that those old enough to remember the Coronation all remembered one person by name, Queen Salote of Tonga. In an open carriage and soaked to the skin she absolutely radiated happiness. She must have made an impression to be remembered by name out of all the heads of state in the procession.

I managed to scrounge a dish of strawberries and cream which I brought home to have after my fish and chips which I bought on the way home. In the evening I watched TV and chatted to my brother on the phone as usual.

3rd It was pretty much a usual Sunday. Shower, shave, Archers Omnibus. Set out to change my sheets and iron some shirts while watching the study TV from time to time as the river pageant went by with everyone getting wet just like Coronation Day. But thwarted in the ironing by the arrival of my granddaughter and two great grandsons. Prepared and ate a late evening meal. Watched TV in the evening including many 'action re-plays of the days events. Chatted to Bill as usual.

4th Finishing off part 1 of the Summer Directive and sorting through all the CDs for my computer's programmes as I am having it upgraded and the engineer needs them. Had a real cut price evening meal four quids worth of loin chops reduced to two quid (silent thanks to the person who invented sell by). Caught up with TV serials (good hold HDD recorder). Chatted to Bill and caught with a transcribing project I am helping with.

5th Finally found the most important CD, it had fallen over the back of the drawer. Caught up with parts 2 and 3 of the Summer Directive. At the same time watching the service and the carriage drive on my study TV. I haven't got much time for the Metropolitan Police, but escorting that vast crowd down The Mall was a first class operation.. Apart from the endless news references that was the end of the Jubilee for me. It was cook and watch TV then talk to Bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.